Monday, May 22, 2006

When I searched for a close-by hotel to the meeting location, I found this St. Gilles - with 700 beds the largest hotel in the UK. That sounds just right - so I booked a room. At the check-in, there is Billy the trainee. His most uttered phrase is "I am very sorry sir". There is no non-smoker room anymore. There is no room at a higher floor. The breakfast is not included. There is no internet or WiFi. And he makes a mistake in programming the key. "My apologies for the wait". But I am patient. Billy will learn eventually.

I drop my stuff in the room and head out for a short walk. It keeps raining. I find a Saintsbury supermarket for buying some food and drink. Don't feel going alone to one of these nice looking restaurants in the area. Is quite a nice location, this Bedford. Quiet side streets, with lots of shops nearby on the busy main streets.

But I head back to the hotel, to complete the assignment markings - done after midnight. I have to email Alan tomorrow the final results so he can pass these on to the students.


View from my hotel room. Posted by Picasa