Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Black Widow Spider

On the next morning, Thursday, the first action is to get my two vintage cars (1971 Plymouth Fury Custom Suburban Stationwagon and 1974 Caddilac Eldorado Convertible) moving again, after they had been standing since christmas, since I plan to sell them. As I try to start them, it appears that each of their batteries has died. I am able to jumpstart the Plymouth, but the Caddy starter does not crank the engine. And the battery of the Plymouth does not hold the charge - after a diagnosis at the Pep Boys shop, I need to buy a new battery.

As I check the engine of the Caddy and try to look at the radiator fluid, I see a spider sitting on the battery, close to where I was just trying to remove the radiator cap. It is - a black widow. The shiny black body, the long black legs, and the red cross on the underbelly are obvious indicators. I was luck that it had not bitten me - their bites "seldom cause death". As I try to remove the spider with a stick, it rushes down under the battery and hides there. In its web are many remains of what it has eaten... among them also another spider, probably its husband. There is a reason why this spider is called "black widow" ...

As I work around the battery, I am carefully watching where the spider is. When I lift the battery out, I see that it is sitting on it at the side of it. So at least I got it out of the engine, and now I can continue to install the new battery. With the new battery installed, the engine starts immediately. I top up oil and transmission fluid, but then I see that some gasoline is dripping out of two cracked hoses at the underside of the engine. It takes me a while to get to there, but finally I am able to replace these hoses with new pieces. Now the Caddy is ready, and I take a short ride around the block. Feels great, in the warm California sun! Maybe I should not sell the car afterall, and take it to the UK?

The Plymouth runs well - there is a slight engine exhaust noise, due to a missing gasket at the thermostat, but otherwise it is ok. Now that both cars are running ok, I can arrange visits by the potential buyers who have already contacted me.