Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I follow the sign for "National Gallery". My goal: to see Turner's painting "Rain, Steam, and Speed". Of course the museum entrance that I chose is the one furthest away from the Turner collection... so I haste through several grandious rooms, with treasures of paintings. The gallery closes in 30 minutes, so I do not have very much time. And there it is - the painting that I have seen more than 20 years ago in school text books. A message from 1845. A train. The painting preempting impressionism, with its fuzzy appearance.

I walk further around, through the impressionistic gallery. Several Monets, Manets, Gauguins, Cezannes. Paintings that I only have seen on book covers, are just hanging around here. Monets Lilies in a pond, with the curved bridge. On the way out more masterpieces, Gainsborough, Canalletto, paintings that I have seen on many occasions in prints, are here actual as the originals. I definitely should spend longer here next time.


"Rain, Steam, and Speed" by Turner, in the National Gallery. The fuzziness is only partially from my unsteady hand, holding the camera: the painting really is quite fuzzy. Posted by Picasa