Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Great Student Run

A few weeks before the travel to Bucharest came up, I was asked by Joy Kumar from the Leeds Met Executive Office, if I would participate in the "Great Student Run", a 10 km distance run from Headingley Carnegie Stadium to the Leeds Met Becket Park Campus. Since I am not really the sportive type (as all my friends can confirm!), I hesitated. But then I got convinced as I was offered the possibility to walk this run instead of running it. Well, and so it came that I participated in this event. Leeds Met created some publicity around me walking the run, and last week there was even a brief mention of this in the Yorkshire Evening Post, the local newspaper in Leeds. So I had no other choice than to return from Romania to participate in this event.

Before my travel, I had somehow not taken care of buying food - I had finished all the spoilable items, but now after my return the fridge was empty. So all I had for breakfast, was an apple and a few cheese crackers that I found somewhere on a shelf - they had been in the welcome package 8 months ago.

Strenghtened by this hearty meal I head off to the Headingley Stadium where the run would begin. About 1500 participants took part in this! At 10:30 the runners started. And I was in the group at the very end, "gemuetlich" walking with my buddies from work. Very interesting, to walk on these roads where I usually only drive! I now realised how short these distances in Leeds are. I could even walk to work from the brewery where I live! The first runner finished in about 35 minutes. I arrived at the gate after 1h 42 minutes.

As usual, the fabulous Yorkshire weather played along well: during the run it was overcast, providing a refreshing shade; then around 11:30 the sun came out and created a nice party atmosphere at the Beckett Park Campus.