Sunday, April 23, 2006

At a Concert of Opera North Orchestra

This weekend I had very little time for anything. No travel through Yorkshire, as I was preparing for a few deadlines in the coming week, all related to the European Union: contract preparation forms needed to be filled in for my EU IRG grant, a proposal needed to be filed by the deadline on Tuesday, and I was supposed to prepare for a review meeting in Brussels on Thursday. So lots of work the whole weekend, also in the evenings.

But nevertheless, I had bought a ticket to a concert by the Orchestra of the Opera North that was performed in Leeds Town Hall on Saturday. On the program: Schoenberg’s “Verklaerte Nacht”, and Mahler’s 5th Symphony.

What a treat! These pieces fit wonderful into the theme of this season of the Leeds International Concert Season “Passion and Music”. And what was especially interesting: I had attended the two rehearsal days of the orchestra, for professional reasons for a future project at my work. So I had the pleasure of observing guest director Andras Ligeti and the orchestra at work.

The orchestra played absolutely wonderful, and it was a great evening.