Friday, July 21, 2006

Student Graduation

From Wednesday to Friday, the student summer graduation took place in those tents on the Acre of the Headingley campus of Leeds Met. A total of 5000 students received their degrees in these days, each with up to 3 guests.


The Graduation tents. Posted by Picasa

On Wednesday afternoon, it was the turn of students of Creative Technology and Engineering in our faculty Innovation North. The academic staff assembled at 1pm and put on their gowns. Since in Germany we do not have this tradition of gowns and hats, I had rented mine. However, as I realised then, I got the wrong hat - a PhD is supposed to have a round hat, but what I was wearing was the Master Degree's hat. Well, next time I know. I might actually buy the complete set - but I have to check with my university in Germany about their colours...

So after we all got dressed in the academic outfits, we formed the "academic procession" and walked in, 2 by 2, into the tent where the graduates and their parents were already seated. Brass players played fanfares and accompanied the marching in. The academic staff sat down in front rows, then the university management and leadership teams moved onto the stage. The Vice Chancellor, Prof. Simon Lee, made a speech.

Then, Dame Fanny Waterman, the founder of the Leeds Piano Competition, was given an honorary Doctorate in Music. The first time I had gone to one of those classical music concerts in the Leeds Town Hall, back in January, someone next to me pointed out that there was sitting Fanny Waterman, the most influential person in Leeds' music life. In 1963 she has founded the now world-famous Leeds Piano Competition, and has been very instrumental in much of the classical music activities. So I already knew who she was. She is 86 years old, one year younger than my grandmother. And she looks a little like her. After the ceremony, I briefly spoke to her and mentioned this, and also the fact that my grandmother is a piano teacher too.

After the graduation ceremony, the academic procession again walked out very dignified, then formed a corridor through which the students were walking out, and we applauded them. Then there was food and drinks.

A quite grandious ceremony! From students' parents, I heard the sentiment that this ceremony at our university was far above any other ceremony that they had seen at other universities... quite a compliment!



Graduation ceremony of Innovation North, Creative Technology, in the tent on the Acre. The Vice Chancellor, Simon Lee, is speaking. Posted by Picasa


Graduates, some of whom I was involved with teaching. Posted by Picasa


Graduates in front of the James Graham Building after the graduation ceremony.  Posted by Picasa


James Graham Building in the summer sun. Posted by Picasa


Entrance / exit of the graduation area on the Acre. Posted by Picasa

No comments: