Friday, July 28, 2006

UK Health System

In the UK, the health system is "nationalized". That means, everybody gets free medical treatment by the "NHS (National Health Service)", without an insurance or ny monthly fee - the system is all financed through taxes. But there is some bureaucracy involved: in case of illness, one cannot just go to any doctor, but has to go to a "surgery" within the resident's area. So when I moved to here, I found four such surgeries to which I could in principle. In order to get treatment, one has to register with that surgery first.

When I got my annual cold last November, I decided to give this NHS a try, and chose to register with the Manor Park Surgery, since that was closest to the Kirkstall Brewery, my residence. When I came there in the morning, all I did was just registering, giving them my contact data and filling out a questionnaire. When I then asked for an appointment to one of the doctors, all the vacant time slots were filled, and I would have to come again next day. I decided then to cure myself teh old-fashined way, with hot tea and rest. And it worked - I am still healthy now. They do actually also have a phone-in service: at a toll-free number, a nurse gives health advise to the callers and makes recommendations about further treatment of minor ailments.

A few days ago, I was shocked to see that this surgery was in the evening news on TV: a fire had destroyed it. Yesterday I got a letter from them, ensuring me that all my records are ok (I did not have many, except about my slight cold I had last November), and advising of other surgeries that I could use in the meantime until they rebuild it.