Saturday, July 15, 2006

In the Yorkshire Dales

A streak of warm weather is over England. So on this Saturday I decided to visit again the Yorkshire Dales, and possibly follow up further north where I had been several months earlier, to have a peak at the Settle-Carlisle railroad. First I move towards Skipton. In Ilkley there is a long line of cars queuing at the entry into town, so I turn around and find a side street, bypassing the town and heading straight into a moor north of Ilkley.


View towards Ilkley Moor. Posted by Picasa

As I approach Skipton, I pass the Bolton-Embsay steam railroad. And right, there is some dirty smoke somewhere, indicating the train. The line is quite hidden from the road, goes through a holloway, then under a bridge. It seems as if these train lines here are often hidden, inaccessible, fenced off. No good vantage point, as I stand on the road bridge and see the steam train passing under me...


Landscape east of Skipton, towards the Yorkshire Dales. Posted by Picasa

I drive around Skipton and head towards the nice town of Settle. The famous Settle-Carlisle railroad officially begins there, with its old wing signals and the tracks through gorgeous landscape. I want to see the famous Ribblehead viaduct.


A popular road stop, within walking distance of the Ribblehead train viaduct. Posted by Picasa

A nice road stop invites for a break - the sandwich with bacon and eggs tastes delicious. From here the Ribblehead viaduct is just 5 minutes walking distance away.


Ribblehead Viaduct of the Settle-Carlisle train line. Posted by Picasa

The lady in the van, selling food and drinks, tells me that the train line is now closed for 2 weeks, for repairs. However, there are then two small commuter trains passing on the line, crossing over on the viaduct.


Train on Ribblehead Viaduct. Posted by Picasa

I have still some time - there is long daylight here in summer, so I head on to the Buttertap pass, where I had planned to go last time a few months ago, but where the bad weather made me turn around.


Landscape seen from road towards Buttertap Pass. Posted by Picasa

Gorgeous views from the road into the landscape.


Tourist crowds near the Buttertaps Posted by Picasa

As it is after 18:00, I turn back towards Leeds, on empty back country roads through the dales.


Road south of Hawes. View towards north (Hawes). Posted by Picasa


Typical traffic obstacle in the Yorkshire Dales Posted by Picasa