Thursday, July 13, 2006

Keynote Speaker Trevor Baylis

One of the keynote speakers at the Innovation North Research Conference (10.-12.July 2006) was Trevor Baylis, the inventor of the clockwork radio. I as session chair on Tuedsay morning had the honour to introduce him. I had done a bit of search and collected his bio data, but before his talk, he told me I should not say any of this, because it would take away his presentation.

So after I made a few general remarks about his achievements - he got 6 honorary doctoral degrees, the latest one from our Leeds Metropolitan University - he began his talk.

What a unique and enthusiastic person he is! Full of passion he described his way through life. He abandoned the limitations of political correctness and corrected the image of the sole and lonely inventor - everybody can be an inventor! He sharply criticised the legislation for protecting intellectual property - or the lack thereof. He brought examples of how inventors are cheated of the rewards from their inventions.

Here are a few of his statements:

"I am 69 years old. The next significant event in my life will be my death."

"Follow your heart!" (with regard to career choice)

"It is great to drive in my 1971 Jaguar and chase the ladies in fishnets."

No comments: