Sunday, May 24, 2009

Bank Holiday: at Armley Mills

When I moved to Leeds in late summer 2005, one of my first weekend visits had been to the Armley Mills Industrial Museum. It is located in a former industrial mill, which have been so typical for the urban landscape of Northern England. I had been very impressed with their collection of industrial machinery, locomotives, engines, and I also was amazed by the interesting facts exhibition of the movie pioneer Louis Le Prince who recorded the very first ever movie scenes here in Leeds.
When I visited the Armley Mills Museum in October 2005, there was unfortunately no steam engine in operation - they fire one up only once per month. So this past weekend I used the opportunity to see another steam engine in action.
Machinery for making cloth.

Steam engine in operation.

No comments: