Friday, June 09, 2006

Soccer World Cup

Soccer World Cup 2006 in Germany, my home country. And I am here in England... Lots of interest here in soccer, everywhere the qhite flags with the St. George's cross on them... cars have these flags too. I consider to buy a pair, just as a souvenir. Of course there is nowhere a German flag to be bought, or any other flag than the English one... you realise that you are here on an island. I was considering to just make one, and hang it from the windows of my Tower Flat Buidling :) That would probably create an uproar!

At the opening day today, the BBC showed on their "normal" non-cable channels only a a brief summary of the opening ceremony - quite a shame. I am sure people would have been interested to see more of the celebration and a bit more than the 10 minutes excerpts. Interesting that among the former world champion teams that the BBC decided to show as they walked in, is the Argentinian team - the country against which the UK had a war back in 1982...

In the background, I recognise the voice of the German moderator in the Munich stadium: Thomas Gottschalk, a famous TV host in Germany whom I have known since my youth there. What I have with him in common (and with the coach of the German soccer team, Juergen Klinsmann): we all do have a 2nd home in Los Angeles :)


--- The opening game: Germany against Costa Rica. The German team quite offensive, gives them the first goal after 6 minutes. But not defensive enough - allows Costa Rica to get a goal in the 12. minute. Then a 2nd goal by Germany in the 17. minute. From then on back and forth. Both teams play quite well and enthusiastic.
The German defense is weak...
but the offensve is great. a 3:1 in the 61. minute...
but then the weak defense of Germany's team allowed a 3:2 by Costa Rica in the 73. minute...
and then in the 86. minute another goal by Germany!

a really great opening game - 4:2 for Germany!

No comments: