Saturday, September 03, 2005

Getting life organised - bank account

In order to settle in, several things need to be organised: I need a bank account, a mobile phone, and a car. The rental car is too expensive - I intend to buy a cheap used one.

But the very first thing is to open an account so my income can be deposited, and I can buy things without paying this additional 2-3% credit card fee.

But opening a bank account seemt to be uite a procedure here in the UK.
In the US, you can go to a bank, sign a few forms, and you leave with a debit card, a pile of checks, and the knowledge that you can use your account right away.

In the UK, this seems to be different. My first inquiry at a few bank branches resulted in an interview being set up at a later time. At one bank, however, I could immediately set up the interview. It took about one hour until the formalities were entered into the system. A copy of my passport was made, I had to proof my employment, salary, and residence.
For the latter, I had to come in the next day again to bring a printed letter from my employer, stating my residence.
Well, now I just have to wait for one week until I can get my debit card, credit card, and checks.

Next step is to get an insurance number for the National Health Insurance. I got the address and phone number. First I thought that I could easily do this over the phone, or maybe over the internet. But this was a wishful thinking: I will have to go there in person. An interview will be scheduled in a few weeks, and I will have to call next week again to schedule this interview, because the relevant person is out of office for a few days.

I expect a similar situation with driver license and car permit... which I will tackle some time soon.