Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Disaster in New Orleans and Surroundings

It just happened when I began my travel. During a stopover at the Detroit airport on Monday, August 29, I watched on CNN the reporting about the developing storm Katrina. It looked like it would miss New Orleans itself, and it already calmed down from a category 5 storm. So as I continue my travel, I was convinced that the worst is over. But after my arrival in the UK, I watched on BBC News the horrendeous events that were unfolding in the US South.

Therefore, before I will write about my travel and the arrival at a new place of living, my sympathy goes to those who suffered terrible losses in this disaster. I do here not want to assign blame and suggest what could have been done better - this already is a subject of discussion and will hopefully lead to consequences. But I want to espress my hope that New Orleans and the surrounding towns will rise again to their former beauty. In many parts of the world, regions have always recovered from disaster. And the strong spirit of the Southerners will lead to rebuilding an revitalization of this coastal area that is now so devastated. My best wishes to you there!