Thursday, September 01, 2005

The first day in the UK - at my new post

The day after my arrival, my first action is to go shopping at the Morrisons Supermarket which just a few minutes away to walk. They do have a nice selection on various food items, so I get the stuff that complements the items provided by Graham and Cath. Typical food seems to be: pies and pasties.

The weather is warm and mild. A few first initial meetings at the faculty.
A tour around a few campus facilities.
Then in the afternoon the start of the staff development festival.
A presentation by Eddie Onbang.


In the evening there is an event on the famous Headingley Cricket Field.
An important game was on - but I have no idea about this game or the rules. But I learn the most important rule: that it usually rains heavily when such a game is on. And it does indeed: it began to rain heavily, and a thunderstorm soaked the ground.
The game was postponed, and instead the dinner was served early.


Later on the BBC news, the reports come in about the horrible events in New Orleans.