Thursday, March 02, 2006

RoboEthics Workshop - Last Day

After returning from the soiree in the private home of a Genoese family back to the hotel, I still need to prepare my presentation for the next day. So I have to pay the price for not having completed it earlier… and I have to stay up until 2 am to complete the vugraphs.

After a short sleep, I wake up at 6:30. Decide to use the time to get a view of the city in the morning. Genoa is stretched along the Ligurian coast, facing south. The whole coast line is very hilly, so the city stretches across several valleys and hills. My walk through the still quiet streets takes me down towards the coast, where I finally get a broader view of the city itself. A wild chaotic mixture of modern buildings, renaissance palazzi, and a maze of roads. The sun has not yet risen above the hills in the East, there is still a kind of blue light over everything, like within a large shadow. Some thick clouds hang above, and suddenly a few snow drops fall down, bouncing on the street. These are no flakes, but little droplets, like hail, but made of snow. I have not yet seen snow in Leeds, but here in the Mediterranean Genoa, it snows.

At the conference, I give my talk. Present are also the authors/journalists Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman – we later talk about the interesting issues that were discussed at this workshop.