Sunday, March 05, 2006

My Last Day in Genoa (ital.: Genova)

I decided to arrange my flight for Saturday evening – this gave me several hours to explore the areas of Genoa where I had not yet been. I took one of these "funicolares" up the hills. These are small cable cars, running on rails and pulled by a rope. At each end of the rope is one of these cars, so as one goes up, the other one goes down.

I take the funicolare up to Monte Righi (see the nice description on another web site). The tracks go first in a tunnel uphill through the mountain, before surfacing after about 700 m. On top there is a very good view of the city of Genoa. Today, however, the weather is cloudy, there is none of the blue sky which has dominated the weather for the whole past 3 days. I walk down from that mountain through the streets, between the various styles of house that are build along the hillside. The major streets go parallel to the mountain hill side, staying almost level. Perpendicular to this are small foot paths with stairs, leading directly downhill into the city center. I take a few pictures, have a lunch in the self-service restaurant "Moody", where the conference had its luncheons during the week. Then I take the bus to the airport (linea 100, takes about 20 minutes).

My flight leaves at 5:00 pm. From the airport terminal, I can see the waves of the ocean. They are quite high – must be several meters!

Slight delays, but no major problem. I arrive back "at home" in Leeds around 1:00am local time.