Friday, August 19, 2005

My last day at work

Today is my last day at Rockwell Scientific. Since April 1996 I have worked here as Research Scientist / Program Manager, and I enjoyed working on software technology developments and interacting with customers.

Now I move on, to a new environment, to a new country.

I have lived in the US for almost 10 1/2 years - quite a significant portion of my life. Originally coming from Germany, I studied for one year in an exchange program at SUNY Buffalo, and later came back to work in the high-tech industry. I always
appreciated the openness and entrepreneurship that is so prevalent in US society.
But as life goes on, a new opportunity came across: working in academia as "Professor for Creative Technology". To accept this offer, I would have to move to the UK, to Leeds. This is quite a step, from the sunny warm Southern California (vicinity of
Los Angeles) into the cooler Northern England. But it is also a step towards being closer to home and to the European cities, to which I like to travel so much.

Well, I will miss all the friends from my work. It has been great working here in the US, and I might come back some day. But now I am ready to move to "Yorkshire".