Thursday, August 10, 2006

Back in the US

As I watched TV news this morning where non-stop reporting was about the latest terror threat against airlines, it became clear that I just have barely escaped those travel hazzles which passengers endure since today. So I was lucky that I did not book my flight for one day later...

I left the Kirkstall Brewery yesterday (Wednesday) in the morning, took a taxi to the Leeds train station.


Leeds train station in the morning. Posted by Picasa

From there, with the Trans Pennine Express through the Pennines to Manchester airport - takes 1h 15 minutes, and the trains go every 30 minutes.

At Manchester airport, there seemed to be a new layer of security: my data/identification documents were carefully checked by officials even before the check-in. But otherwise no further hazzle. The whole terror plot had not yet been uncovered. I managed to sleep a little before my arrival at JFK airport in New York City. No problems at the immigration point this time. Re-checking the luggage after customs took a little longer than usual, but no major hold-up.

Then after 2 hours in the Delta Airlines Crown lounge (and after 2 free beers), I boarded the next flight leg, to LAX. During the whole flight there were many weather systems across the US, and beautiful cloud formations could be seen.


Weather storm fronts across the US. Posted by Picasa


Clouds over the plains ... Posted by Picasa


... and over the Mojave desert. Posted by Picasa

The plane was a Boeing 757 from the former Delta subsidiary "Song Airlines", so it had no first class, but every seat was equipped with live TV from satellite! I watched the news, before I again dozed off a few times.

The flight arrived in time at LAX at 7pm, I got my rental car from Advantage-Rent-A-Car again, and drove off into the falling night.